National Women’s Health Week is May 13- 19th. The nationwide initiative starts on Mother’s Day and encourages women to make health a top priority and take simple steps for a longer, healthier, and happier life. During the whole month of May, Meijer is committed to educating women about steps they can take to improve their physical and mental health and prevent disease.
We all have a role to play in women's health. Women often serve as caregivers for their families, putting the needs of their spouses, children, and parents before their own. As a result, women's health and wellbeing sometimes becomes secondary. As a community, it is our responsibility to support the important women in our lives and do everything we can to help them take steps for longer, healthier, and happier lives.
10 Tips for Women’s Health:
1. Get at least 30 minutes of physical activity most days of the week.
2. Visit a health care professional regularly or ask your Meijer Pharmacist for advice regarding what vitamins are right for you or other health- related questions. (The Pharmacy offers BMI, blood pressure, and blood glucose screenings for consumers).
3. Get 7-8 hours of sleep most nights of the week. (It is called “Beauty sleep” for a reason!)
4. Manage stress by doing things you enjoy or spending time with family and friends.
5. Watch fat intake- no more than 25-35% of total calorie intake. Most fats should come from sources of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids such as fish, nuts, avocado, and vegetable oils such as Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
6. Eat sources of protein such as lean or low-fat meat, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts.
7. Eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily- half your plate should be fruits and vegetables. Dole Bag Salads are a convenient way to add more veggies to your meals!
8. Make half your grains whole grains- look for the words “whole grain,” or “whole wheat” on the ingredient list. Snack healthy with Nabisco Multigrain Wheat Thins, low fat cheese and apple slices.
9. Consume 3 cups of fat-free or low-fat dairy or foods that contain a good source of calcium such as leafy greens, soy, and almonds. Add several delicious flavors of Yoplait® Light Yogurt to your refrigerator.
10. Maintain a nutritious diet for you and your family by using the NuVal Nutrition Scoring System at Meijer.
NuVal Nutrition Scoring System
The NuVal is a nutritional value scoring system showing the most nutritious foods in all aisles of the grocery store. The score is scaled from 1-100, 100 being the healthiest option. Scores are displayed right on product shelf tags next to the price.
The NuVal is powered by the Overall Nutritional Quality Index (ONQI™), a patent-pending algorithm for measuring the nutritional quality of foods and beverages. The NuVal system takes into account over 30 nutrients – including vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants; sugar, salt, trans fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol and how they relate to the overall dietary guidelines. The system also incorporates measures for quality of protein, fat, and carbohydrates, as well as calories and omega-3 fats.
Gluten Free Living at Meijer
Meijer understands that Celiac Disease and gluten intolerance are becoming more common in the United States and that many of our customers are recommended to follow a gluten free diet.
Celiac disease (CD) is also referred to as gluten sensitive enteropathy (GSE), gluten intolerance, or celiac sprue. It is considered to be the most under-diagnosed common disease today, potentially affecting 1 in every 133 people in the USA. It is a chronic, inherited disease, and if untreated can ultimately lead to malnutrition. This disease damages the small intestine and decreases nutrient absorption. The only treatment for celiac disease is to follow a gluten free diet, which includes eliminating wheat, rye, barley and oats. Following this diet may help reduce or stop symptoms, may repair intestinal damage and may prevent further damage. It is important to consult your doctor with questions related to gluten intolerance.
Gluten free foods are all over Meijer. To help you find gluten free Meijer Brand foods, look for the “GF” icons on Meijer products and refer to our Meijer Brand Gluten Free Product List. (Available at www.meijermealbox.com/healthy-living.com. Under the “Special Diets” heading, there is a link to the Meijer Brand Gluten-Free Product List, National Brand Gluten-Free Product List and Gluten-Free Resources (websites, cookbooks, newsletters).
In most Meijer stores there is a four to eight foot Healthy Living section that contains a variety of gluten free foods. You will usually find the gluten free set near the sugar free/diabetic foods. Also, select Meijer stores will have additional gluten free items in other Healthy Living sections throughout the grocery aisles.
For gluten free recipe ideas, visit www.meijermealbox.com. Click on the “recipes” tab and then the “diet” tab.
Tue, May 1, 2012
by Healthy Living Dietitians filed under