Try these easy summer recipes to get you out of the kitchen fast!
Johnsonville Honey Mustard Turkey Sausage Skewers
1 package (13.5 ounces) Johnsonville® Smoked Turkey Sausage
2 medium yellow onions
2 medium sweet red and yellow bell peppers
1 bottle (12 ounces) honey mustard
18 small metal or wooden skewers
Cut each sausage link into six slices. Peel onion and cut into ½-inch pieces. Core peppers and cut into ½-inch pieces.
Thread sausage slice, onion slice, pepper slice and second sausage slice onto metal or soaked wooden skewer.
Grill skewers on charcoal or gas grill or on a grill pan over medium heat about 5-6 minutes. Turn and grill another 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sausage is hot. Brush with honey mustard serve.
Yield: 8 skewers
**Serving suggestion: prepare skewers in advance and finish with honey mustard when it’s time to serve guests.
Tangy Grilled Chicken with Sheppard Salad:
4 (about 1 to 1 ½ lb) Meijer frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed - $2.88 (NuVal™ Score 39)
4 Tbsp. Wishbone® red wine vinaigrette - $0.21 (NuVal™ Score 7)
2 cups TopLine® mini cucumber, peeled, diced - $2.00 (NuVal™ Score 91)
2 cups NatureSweet® Cherubs® tomatoes, cut in half - $2.50 (NuVal™ Score 96)
¼ cup green onion, sliced - $0.15 (NuVal™ Score 100)
¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped - $0.12 (NuVal™ Score 99)
3 Tbsp. Wishbone® red wine vinaigrette - $0.16 (NuVal™ Score 7)
1. Put chicken and vinaigrette in a zip lock baggie, place in refrigerator, and let marinade for at least 30 minutes.
2. While chicken is marinating, create the Sheppard salad by combining cucumber, tomatoes, onions, parsley, and vinaigrette in a mixing bowl. Cover and let sit in refrigerator.
3. Remove chicken from marinade, pat dry.
4. Grill/broil or pan-fry chicken on medium/high until golden in color and firm to the touch, about 3-4 minutes per side, until fully cooked.
5. Top with Sheppard salad.
Adapted from: Produce for Kids (www.produceforkids.org)
Grilled Potato and Onion Packets
2 pounds Green Giant® red skin potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices - $1.00 (NuVal™ Score 93)
1 large RealSweet® Vidalia® Onions, thinly sliced - $0.69 (NuVal™ Score 93)
1 Tablespoon Meijer extra-virgin olive oil (on hand) - (NuVal™ Score 11)
1/2 teaspoon McCormick seasoned salt (on hand)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (on hand)
1. Heat grill to medium-high.
2. Meanwhile, place potatoes, onion, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat. Place two 24-inch-long pieces of foil on the counter and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange potatoes and onions in a single layer, slightly overlapping, on half of each piece of foil. Leave a 2-inch border on all sides. Fold foil over and pinch the edges together, making two packets.
3. Place packets on the grill. Cover the grill and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. (When you open a packet to check doneness, be careful of steam.) Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information per serving : 182 Calories; 3.5 g Fat; 0mg Cholesterol; 299 mg Sodium; 31 g Carbohydrates; 4 g Fiber; 5 g Protein.
Recipe adapted from EatingWell.com
Fri, July 1, 2011
by Healthy Living Dietitians filed under