We’ve got new and tasty ways for you to cool off this summer! These cool tips will keep summer gatherings healthy too.
Delightful Daiquiris (alcohol free): In a blender, blend 1 Cup Mott’s® Plus Light Apple Juice with 1 Cup Meijer Organics Unsweetened Frozen Strawberries and 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice. Serves 2 (60 calories, 0g Fat, 0g Protein, 15g Carbohydrate, 2g Fiber)
Perfect Pasta Salad: Pair this pasta salad with a burger, or top with grilled chicken (see recipe below) for a great summer meal:
Cook 1 (14.5 oz.) box Barilla Pasta Plus Penne. While pasta cooks, make dressing: In a small bowl mix together 1/2 cup Pompeian® Balsamic Vinegar, 1/4 cup Pompeian® Olive Oil, 1 tsp. Meijer Dijon Mustard and then Stir in 1/2 cup chopped red onion and 1 tsp. McCormick parsley. Place cooked (rinsed and drained) pasta in a large mixing bowl and gently mix in 2 cups of halved cherry tomatoes and 1/2 cup goat cheese (or feta cheese). Stir in dressing and add sea salt and pepper to taste. Serve on top of spring mix greens and enjoy! Makes 7-9 servings. (170 Calories, 9g Fat, 2g Saturated Fat, 5g Protein, 18g Carbohydrate, 4g Fiber, 150 mg Sodium).
Simple Green Salad: On a serving plate place 1 bag Dole Baby Lettuce Blend and top with 1/2 cup mandarin oranges (drained); 1/2 small red onion, sliced; 1/4 cup Planters Nut-rition Almonds; and top with light Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing.
Super Simple Suppers: Healthy Choice Café Steamers or Completes Meals served with your choice of any Dole complete salad kit.
Find more great recipes at MeijerHealthyLiving.com!
Follow these tips to keep your family cook-out healthy and safe!
Grilling is a flavorful and low-fat way to prepare foods. Propane gas grilling is a clean (and green) way to grill your family favorites. Burning foods during grilling can produce cancer promoting agents known as Heterocyclic amines (HCA’s). These simple tips will reduce potential HCA’s while grilling:
1. Don’t allow foods to blacken, char or burn. Keep a water bottle handy to douse any out of control flames and/or move food to a cooler area of your grill.
2. Fatty foods and sugary foods burn and char more than other foods. Trim excess fat from meats and poultry, and don’t add sweet sauces (BBQ sauce) until the last five minutes of grilling – reduce heat to low when your sauce is added.
3. Be proactive! Olive oil and citrus juices are protective and can reduce the production of HCA’s by as much as 95%. Add lemon or orange juice to your marinades and basting liquids (about 1/4 cup) – the acids also help to tenderize meats. Lightly brush foods, especially vegetables and fruit, with olive oil to cut down on flaring. However, even too much olive oil can cause flare ups – so moderation is important.
Note: discard marinades leftover from raw meats to avoid food-borne illness.
Perfect Family Picnic
Pack the perfect picnic in no time! Use our healthy, no fuss picnic menu:
• Whole Wheat pitas filled with Natural Choice Sliced Turkey, 2% Milk Shredded cheddar cheese and dressed Dole shredded lettuce (mix 2T Pompeian® Balsamic Vinegar, 2T Pompeian® Olive Oil, 1 tsp. Meijer Dijon Mustard, toss with shredded lettuce)
• Quick Pasta Salad: Mix 8oz. cooked Barilla Plus Penne Pasta with 1/2 Cup Meijer low-fat ranch dressing and one 12-ounce bag of Meijer Florentine Vegetables-thawed. Season with McCormick ground pepper.
• Baby Carrots and Sun Chips for snacking
• Pack plastic cups and a quart of Dannon Vanilla Yogurt, fresh Strawberries and Meijer granola to create dessert parfaits.
• Chilled Mott’s® Plus light apple juice, V-8 Fusion and water to stay hydrated.
• Don’t forget the Meijer EcoWise paper supplies!
Zesty Grilled Chicken
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Cup Meijer plain yogurt
2 tsp. Meijer brown sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp. McCormick ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp. McCormick ground coriander
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup lemon juice
Meijer Canola or Olive Oil non-stick cooking spray
Place the yogurt, brown sugar, garlic, cumin, coriander, chopped parsley and lemon juice in a large nonmetallic bowl and mix until well combined. Add the chicken to the marinade and turn to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Lightly spray the barbecue grill with non-stick cooking spray and then preheat the barbecue to medium heat.
Remove chicken from the marinade and lightly season with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken pieces turning them frequently, for 15-20 minutes or until they are cooked through (meat will no longer be pink and reaches an internal temperature of 165oF).
Approximate Nutrition Information per Serving: 230 calories, 8g Fat, 2.5g Saturated Fat, 103 mg Cholesterol, 32g Protein, 6g Carbohydrate, 4g Sugar, 0g Fiber, 130mg Sodium.
Tue, July 6, 2010
by Healthy Living Dietitians filed under