Eat, Drink and Play!
Make meals fun by involving the family in menu planning and cooking. Teach your children to choose healthy foods each day and provide them with simple guidelines that they can use when making food choices. Help your kids be healthy by following three simple steps
1. Eat by the numbers: NuVal scores will direct you to nutrient-rich foods. The higher the NuVal score, the more nutritious the food.
Eat 6: Servings of whole grains daily. Many Post cereals are naturally a good source of fiber and whole grains.
Eat 5: Five cups of fruit and vegetables every day – Fresh, frozen, canned, dried and juice.
Eat 3: Servings of dairy foods daily for calcium and vitamin D. Milk and Breakstone’s 2% Milk cottage cheese are good choices.
Eat 1: Dessert or “treat” a day. Nabisco 100 Calorie packs are good options for portion control.
2. Drink: Proper hydration improves energy and concentration. Water and Gatorade are good choices.
3. Play! Be active everyday and make it fun!
Begin with Breakfast:
Start the day off right! Breakfast eaters are more alert, perform better in school and at work, and are more likely to have a healthy body weight! For those rushed morning try our breakfast-on-the-go options:
1. Banana, string cheese and a low-fat bran muffin.
2. Yogurt smoothie drink and graham crackers.
3. Breakfast bar; grapes, low-fat milk.
4. Baggie of trail mix (whole grain Post® cereal with natural fibers, raisins, Planters® peanuts) and 100% Juicy Juice® box blend.
5. Yogurt topped with Post Grape Nuts® cereal and sliced strawberries.
6. Whole wheat toast with Meijer Naturals peanut butter and your choice of toppings (raisins, banana slices, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, granola); low-fat milk.
7. Apple slices spread with peanut butter and dipped in cereal.
8. Breakfast sandwich (low-fat cheese and fried egg on a whole-grain English muffin); grape juice.
9. Fruit smoothie and whole grain toast.
10. Dried fruit and nut granola bar, low-fat yogurt and Ocean Spray® Blueberry Pomegranate flavor juice.
Lunch in an instant
1. Pack in Omega-3’s for brain health and immunity by serving up Bumble Bee Tuna mixed with reduced fat mayonnaise and a touch of McCormick salt free lemon pepper blend seasoning. Serve on top of toasted whole wheat English Muffins and top with lettuce.
2. For a lunch that travels anywhere, try new COMPLEATS® Kids by Hormel. These great tasting healthy individual convenient instant meals are shelf-stable due to packaging—no preservatives here! Compleats® are also a good source of fiber and contain NO artificial colors, trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, or MSG.
3. Add a new twist to grilled cheese sandwiches using a variety of cheese, sliced tomatoes, and brush the bread with heart healthy fats, such as Pompeian® Olive Oil. Check out the “Monthly Featured Recipes” for Pompeian’s
Find more great tips and recipes in our "Monthy Recipes" section.
Fri, April 22, 2011
by Healthy Living Dietitians filed under