Who doesn’t enjoy the satisfying taste of favorite holiday baked goods? With the new year approaching, it’s time to blend traditional methods with some easy changes that keep everyone’s health in mind.
To trim the fat and boost the fiber in your holiday baking:
- Bake with healthier fats, such as Smart Balance Butter Blends. Use just like butter without the watery side-effects of light margarine.
- Use applesauce or plum puree in place of part (or all) of the fat/oil in quick breads, muffins and cookies.
- Replace half of the white flour in recipes with Whole Wheat Pastry Flour.
- Add a couple tablespoons of ground flax seed to your holiday baked goods (this also adds a delicious nutty flavor)
- Add oats and/or wheat germ (just a few tablespoons) to baked goods
- Boost the flavor and antioxidants by adding chopped dried fruit such as apricots, cherries, cranberries, dates, prunes or raisins
- Add small amounts of chopped nuts; lightly toast the nuts first to really enhance flavor.
Keep in mind, it’s all about moderation and keeping in control of our eating. Happy baking!
Wed, December 3, 2008