We all want to feel and look our best and it starts with the daily lifestyle choices we make. Planning healthy food selections can be challenging with our busy schedules. That is why Meijer implemented the NuVal Nutrition Scoring System (read more inside). This system helps you to quickly identify those foods which are the most nutritious. Making the time to eat right and be physically active will put you on the right path to achieving a healthy weight. See if you fall into one of these categories and follow our tips:
Busy Bees: You are simply too busy to cook! Prepare a bigger batch of food ahead during the weekend, refrigerate and freeze for weekday meals. Put healthy food options where you can see to remind yourself of your healthier eating resolution. Keep easy snacks around such as dried fruits, nuts, seeds, cup of veggies and a bowl of fresh fruit.
Fussy Eaters: Try something new. You may not get enough nutrients from the same food every day. Choose different ways of preparing food. If you don’t like your vegetables raw, you can steam, roast, or grill them. Go easy on yourself. If you don’t like brown rice, mix it with white rice first. In time you’ll get used to the flavor.
Couch Potatoes: Pay attention to what you’re eating. Substitute a Meijer light yogurt for high calorie ice cream. Instead of candy or chips, try Orville Redenbacher’s Smart Pop popcorn. Never eat out of bags-portion out your snacks.
Junk Food Junkies: Many nutrient poor foods are also high in calories. Sample healthier alternatives such as baked chips, dried fruit, or a sugar-free Popsicle. Look for more nutrient-rich options like whole grain crackers, veggie sticks, low fat cheese and rice cakes. For a sweet tooth you can try sugar-free pudding, sugar-free gelatin, fruit bars, a baked apple or fruit.
Kitchen Phobes: Try simple but healthy recipes. Look for new recipes at www.meijermealbox.com. Take advantage of prepared or low calorie frozen foods such as Healthy Choice Naturals Mediterranean Pasta.
7 Tips for Eating Healthier
· Kick- start your metabolism by eating breakfast every morning. Try an omelet made with Egg beaters whites, whole wheat toast, Meijer fat free milk and a banana.
· Eat slowly, take smaller bites and enjoy your food.
· Be mindful of the amount of food you consume at a sitting. For a quick, portion controlled and healthy meal try Healthy Choice Naturals meals.
· Use healthy nutrient-rich ingredients when preparing your meals. Try Hunt’s diced tomatoes for your chili, soups or stews for added Vitamin A, C and lycopene.
· Snack on low calorie, low fat satisfying snacks such as Orville Redenbacher’s Smart Pop popcorn and Dannon light yogurt.
· Include fiber- rich foods such as whole grains, whole grain pasta, whole grain cereal, fruits and vegetables which will help you feel full longer.
· High volume foods fill you up faster. Try Healthy Choice Soups for a quick meal with whole grain crackers and a few slices of 2% cheese. A cup of Lipton Tea can be a great after dinner beverage or enjoy with a piece of fruit at snack time.
Use NuVal to Make Healthy Choices
The NuVal™ System is an easy-to-use, science-based food nutrition scoring system that helps you to quickly see the nutritional value of the foods you’re buying.
- It provides one simple score, from 1 to 100. The higher the nutritional value, the higher the NuVal™ Score. It’s as simple as that.
· Think of NuVal™ as a shortcut to finding healthier foods that you can be confident in! For more information, visit www.meijerhealthyliving.com or www.NuVal.com.
Next time you visit Meijer, look for the NuVal score on the shelf tag of the product to find those healthy nutrient-rich foods that you need to prepare your meals.
Stock up your refrigerator and cupboard with healthier choices:
· Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes
· Hunt’s Paste
· Egg Beaters
· Healthy Choice Naturals
· Healthy Choice Fresh Mixers
· Orville Redenbacher’s Smart Pop Popcorn
· Healthy Choice Soups
· Lipton Tea
· Tropicana Pure
Sun, December 27, 2009
by Meijer Dietitian