6 Easy Tips for Preventing Colds & Flu
- Disinfect to protect. You can help protect family members from picking up and spreading germs on their hands by spraying commonly touched surfaces and objects with a disinfectant such as LYSOL® Disinfectant Spray after cleaning. Regular disinfection will help kill cold- and flu-causing viruses and bacteria before anyone in your family gets sick.
- Be prepared. Stock up on items such as Kleenex® Bundles Tissues, throat lozenges, and Lysol Hand Sanitizer. Your refrigerator should also have plenty of cold beverages for daily hydration and to sooth a sore throat or upset stomach. SoBe Lifewater, Lipton Pure Leaf Tea, Absopure water, Diet Canada Dry Ginger Ale are all good choices.
- Focus the family on hygiene. Use tissues to blow your nose, and then throw them away. Wash your hands immediately. Wash your hands frequently with warm soapy water for at least 15 seconds each time to make sure germs are sloughed off the skin; dry hands thoroughly. Use a daily germ-fighting mouth wash like Listerine®.
- Care for your toothbrush. Replace your toothbrush often, especially if you’ve been ill – usually every 3 to 4 months or as soon as you start noticing frayed or bent bristles. Keep your toothbrush clean, dry and upright to deter bacteria build-up.
- Fill your cart with produce. Fruits and veggies support the immune system. Select dark, leafy greens, and yellow or orange vegetables such as carrots, winter squash and sweet potatoes. And don’t forget canned, frozen, dried and 100% juice products like Tropicana® Pure Valencia juice. These forms may be a convenient and economical way to get critical vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Top off your cart with whole grains, lean protein and nuts/seeds. Whole grain bread, pasta and cereals along with the protein found in lean meat, fish and poultry are essential for a healthy body. Protein builds and repairs the body’s cells and can also be found in canned beans, nuts, soy and tofu. Oatmeal, brown rice and quinoa are other whole grains to try.
Meijer Healthy Shopping List
Load your shopping cart with these immunity heroes and products to limit exposure to germs and let Meijer help maintain your good health:
- Tropicana® Pure Juices
- Bell Peppers
- Sweet Potatoes
- Lipton® Pure Leaf Tea
- SoBe Lifewater
- Diet 7-Up®; Diet Rite®; Diet Squirt®
- Absopure® Water
- Cultured Yogurt
- Meijer Whole-Grain Bread
- Lean Beef
- Lysol® Spray and Wipes
- Lysol® Hand Sanitizer
- Kleenex® Bundles Facial Tissue
- Oral B Toothbrushes
- Crest® Prohealth Mouthwash
- Meijer Vitamins
Fri, December 26, 2008